Thursday, January 31, 2008

Crazy Cactus

I left this art lesson for my sub while I was on my maternity leave. I was impressed with how they turned out. Our fifth graders did a fantastic job. The inspiration for this lesson was the artwork of Carmen Lomas Garza. It was a great lesson for reviewing line and pattern.

MATERIALS:
watercolor paint, markers, colored paper, gluesticks and scissors

PROCEDURE:
After looking at Carmen Lomas Garza's artwork, the students drew their cactus and painted it with shades of yellows, blues, purples and greens. The following week, students added line designs and patterns to each part of the cactus. Finally, they finished it out with triangles they cut from yellow, blue, green and purple construction paper.

3 comments:

Patty Palmer said...

Hey! Your blog looks terrific! Can I add your link to my blog? I've done the crazy cactus art lesson as well. I love the monochromatic look....so beautiful.oubvlwg

Julie Durocher said...

Sure, Patty, thanks for visiting. I will add you to my links too!

Mrs. G's Art Class said...

Do you have this lesson typed up somewhere I would love to use it...new to elementary art and am looking for lessons!